This Valentine’s Day, let’s take some time to focus on self-love, self-care, and ourselves in general. It is not selfish. In fact, take ‘selfish’ out of your dictionary for the next hour, as you focus on yourself for once. You may be having a good day, you might be going through one of the harder ones. No matter where you are in your life, you deserve to give some time to yourself.
You are always there for others. You support, advice and help others whenever they need you. You give love as if it’s your full-time job. And maybe you are not receiving love back. Maybe people take it for granted, without even realising. You need to know you are loved as much as the next person. And you are.
Being a huge list maker, and really when does one go wrong with compiling a list, I’ve put together a little list of things you can do this Valentine’s Day to take time and show yourself how much you appreciate your body and your mind.
- put on music that makes you feel light and cheery
- go outside. smell the earth. let the sun give you a kiss. if it’s raining, let the raindrops kiss your face
- stay in if that’s what you need (I made it out today after a few hard days, and it’s not been an easy task. you might need to take a couple more days. it’s okay)
- get yourself a beverage of your choice and take time to reflect on what it is you need – forget what others expect from you or want you to be, this one is about what you want and need
- allow yourself to grieve – no matter what it is you are grieving, don’t bottle it up
- write. draw. take photos. sing. dance.
- buy yourself flowers
- feel just how alive you are – both in your body and in your mind
- delight in the fact that you are on this earth. you are an essential part of this world. you matter. you are enough.
- and yes, read a book if you feel like it.
There is no order to these. There is no rule in doing all of them, or doing just one, or simply inspiring yourself to come up with ones that work for you. These work for me, some more than others, though it all depends on the time and place.
Remember, you are an amazing being, and you deserve to celebrate yourself.